Friday, January 8, 2010

LOVE IN MID AIR



I’m back, kids! Alas, my first Friday pick of 2010...

LOVE IN MID AIR
by Kim Wright

I can’t possibly do this spectacular debut novel justice.

On the surface, it appears like a story you’ve heard tens of times before: woman in an unhappy marriage (Elyse) silently decides to leave her husband...before making any official move, she meets another man and becomes embroiled in an affair...all the while, she vicariously enjoys the second marriage of her gorgeous best friend (Kelly), who is hitched to a suave, older, wealthy man. Boring, right?

But this is a wistful, insightful take on a modern woman at an existential crossroads. And the dialogue between Elyse and Kelly is rich and genuine, pulling you in and drawing your empathy.

THE SKINNY: A FRESH, AUTHENTIC TAKE ON A COMMON TALE.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm really excited about this site. Great job so far, but I need something to read now and these wont be published until Feb. Can you give us a top five from your 2009 faves? Thanks! Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great query!

    I didn't start doing this in earnest until Nov. of 2009, so I can't give a true and fair Top 5 of the Year.

    But NPR listed its Top 5 (of which I've read three; and I can firmly stand behind all three):

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121521074

    So hey, that's something!

    L.

    ReplyDelete